Thursday, October 1, 2009

Want to Buy A Magazine?

Time-Warner has just announced that it is selling the magazine that gives it its first name, Time. The company, which will main just consist of HBO and some other TV properties, will also throw in People and Sports Illustrated. This comes on the heels of a drastic and disastrous retooling of Newsweek, which has stopped printing news and is only printing opinion and analysis.

Is there a future for weekly magazines? I don't know anyone who subscribes to one. It seems the only function they serve is to fill the waiting rooms of doctors and dentists.

It almost seems that everything is doomed to migrate to the web. But if that happens, will anyone pay for it?

4 comments:

Anonymous,  October 1, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

I will open the biddding at.005

WoFat October 1, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

When I was in Southeast Asia - 1963-65 - in the Army, I used to read TIME (HQ send it up, along with a stack of other stuff, every few weeks). The articles about places I'd been, and where I was, were so strange that I often looked out the window while reading - just to see if the magazine and I were talking about the same place. Yep, I was where I was. I've no idea where the TIME journalists were/had been.

Chuck October 1, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

Not to be lost in all of this is that these are 2 liberal magazines. Coincidence?

Bob Qat October 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Don't you wonder who pays for this forum? Advertisers, the same guys who support half the cost of print periodicals... until the print periodicals go stupid left.

Control of the mass media has eluded the fascistic Left. The internet is not immune. Remember the software called Carnivore? During the Clinton administrations, The government developed spyware to intercept and "read" private email.

There's a nice little dose of paranoia to start your day....

About This Blog

This blog is about my opinions and world view.  I am a conservative, evangelical Christian.  Generally speaking, if you post a comment, I'll allow you to express your view.  However, if you say something hateful, untruthful, or just generally something I don't like, I may remove it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP