Thursday, December 10, 2009

Separate But Equal Christmas Gifts

If not for the Weekly Standard, I probably would have missed this one. I don't know whether to laugh or scream at the hypocrisy. Maybe I'll scream as soon as I can stop laughing....


NYT Creates Separate But Equal Holiday Gift Guide for People of Color



Yes, from our moral and intellectual betters at the New York Times comes the culmination of diversity awareness—the separate but equal holiday gift guide. Mediaite reports:


What I would like to know is who thought this was a good idea? In this year’s NYT’s Annual Holiday Gift Guide there is a section devoted to “Of Color | Stylish Gifts.” From the intro to the section.


"Somali fashion, do-it-yourself henna kits, children’s books that draw inspiration from the lives of Barack Obama and Sonia Sotomayor: it’s not hard to find gifts created for and by people of color this holiday season. Here are some possibilities."



The section runs along such idea lists as "Frugal Travel," "Chic and Cheerful," and "Cosmetic Enhancements."



Here's the link to the original, in case you'd like to offend one of your friends or relatives by proclaiming via painfully stereotypical gift idea that the only thing you know about them is their skin color, and you assume that it defines them at the exclusion of all else.



The gospel cruise is perhaps my favorite offering. Is Michael Scott now editing the New York Times? Actually, some of the gifts are nice, but they'd be nice for any number of New York Times readers, not just for their minority readers.



For instance, a Barack Obama children's book could likely be enjoyed by white liberals as much as by black people. I know I may blow the New York Times' mind, here, but there are also black conservatives who might not appreciate it. Imagine that! White folks could, and even would, buy nail polish created by people of color. The designs of Somali twins Ayaan and Idyl Mohallim look lovely for people of all hues.



And, so we reach the ironic pinnacle of the liberal sophisticate's compulsive striving for "diversity." I believe it was Martin Luther King Jr. who famously said we should buy each other presents, based not on the content of our character, but the color of our skin.



But what do I know? I probably would have supported slavery, according to Harry Reid.

6 comments:

WoFat December 10, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

It seems - the color coded gift - to be a bit of left wing racism. Giggle, giggle.

Anonymous,  December 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

I could hear the screams if Rush or Glen Beck wrote orsaid this.

Bob Qat December 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

The Leftist stylish gift of apartheid. Finally! I can give stuff to my extended family of human beings!

"Why give your kids yet another video game when you can open their minds? Nikki Grimes’s children’s book about President Obama"

They're even advertising "no black out dates" Rude!

Cackle! Scream! Rant! Weep!

jadedfellow December 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Dear Miss Shore,

Sorry to break the news in such a blunt way, but you do support slavery every time you pay taxes or are forced by government to do things you don't agree with.

I'm a bit early, but my Christmas gift to you is hoping you remain able stick to what you believe and I think you are a real darling.

Miss T.C. Shore December 14, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Jadedfellow,

Good point. I know what you mean, but at the same time, paying taxes is necessary (to a point) to have a government at all. And there will always be things the government does that I don't agree with. I'm not sure how to get around that. Still, point well taken.

jadedfellow December 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

Miss Shore,

Slavery ain't no fun and we probably can not get around it.

Since I am no sage of divine wisdom I would just advise that you
just stay true to your core values and keep hoping.

Take care.

jadedfellow

About This Blog

This blog is about my opinions and world view.  I am a conservative, evangelical Christian.  Generally speaking, if you post a comment, I'll allow you to express your view.  However, if you say something hateful, untruthful, or just generally something I don't like, I may remove it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP