Monday, January 26, 2009

Blago: Impeachment trial is "Rigged and it's fixed"

Embattled Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich compared himself to Nelson Mandela on Sunday and impugned the integrity of his impeachment trial the day before it was to begin.

Appearing on NBC's "Today" show, Blagojevich said the trial was "rigged and it's fixed."

"I think what you'll see is a roll call that will be pre-designed, and we'll see whether or not I even get one vote," he said.

With state senators serving as Blagojevich's judge and jury and the governor mounting no defense, the trial is expected to conclude within days. A conviction would require a two-thirds vote and result in the governor's removal from office.

Blagojevich is accused of trying to sell the Senate seat vacated by President Obama.

Federal prosecutors also said their wiretaps caught Blagojevich threatening to withhold money for children's healthcare unless he got campaign donations from a hospital executive and offering to trade state aid to the Tribune Co. in exchange for the Chicago Tribune firing unfriendly editorial writers. Tribune owns several newspapers and television stations, including the Los Angeles Times and KTLA.

Several politicians have called on Blagojevich to resign, but he has refused -- as he did again Sunday.

"And for me to just quit because some cackling politicians want to get me out of the way because there's a whole bunch of things they don't want known about them and conversations they may have had with me . . . would be to disgrace my children when I know I've done nothing wrong," he told NBC.

I'm not sure what Blago means by "fixed", but I suspect he means that the outcome of the trial has already been determined, and that the Illinois Senate is simply going through the motions.  Now, this is just my opinion, but for what it's worth:  If you're as guilty as sin and you have no evidence worthy of mounting a defense, I'd say the outcome has been determined.

The more things "change", the more they stay the same.

0 comments:

About This Blog

This blog is about my opinions and world view.  I am a conservative, evangelical Christian.  Generally speaking, if you post a comment, I'll allow you to express your view.  However, if you say something hateful, untruthful, or just generally something I don't like, I may remove it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP