Friday, July 31, 2009

Blog Milestone

I'm traveling today. I'm in the "Mile High City" for the weekend. And while in the Mile High City, my blog has reached a Milestone. One Hundred followers.

So, I thought I'd take a break from the usual political post and make a few comments about my blog.

First, let me say that I don't like the word "followers." That's the word Google uses (Google runs "Blogger"). One of the blog I regularly visit made the point that the word "followers" makes us sound like a cult. I agree. I like the words "readers" or "visitors." Those seem more appropriate.

Of course, not all of my readers share my world-view or my opinions on many of the subjects that I talk about. Reading some of the blogs of those who have signed up as "followers," I wonder why they would visit here at all. A few have swallowed the liberal Kool-Aid. Others, like James' Muse, shares some views and not others. James, if you read this, while I often disagree with you, I value your posts. A lively discussion helps us all re-evaluate our positions to be certain we argue from a solid viewpoint.

I also want to thank the regular readers who post comments, many of whom are in agreement with my blog. The feedback helps encourage me to continue. I hate to list names, because I know I'll leave out some of you guys who regularly post here. You know who you are.

As many of you know some of my posts are copied and pasted from other sites and some are my own thoughts and words. Usually (but not always), if I copy and paste part or all of a post from another site, I'll tell you where it came from, and usually put a link. Posts from Fox News, the Associated Press and a handful of other sources don't always contain a link, but usually cite the reference.

I would estimate that about 50% of my posts are copied from elsewhere and 50% are my own thoughts.

One of my goal for the blog is to remain on the topic of politics. While I have other interests, if I make this blog about me and all of my interests, rather than staying on topic, I think it would make the blog less interesting for the readers that come here for the political angle. I can't imagine many people out there are interested in my personal life. Besides, I put that stuff on Facebook.

While my posts may appear at any time, I often find that I have time to research and write in the mornings, and more often than not, on weekdays. Weekends are for fun, although I occasionally find myself in the mood to post on a weekend, as well.

Where do my thoughts come from? Often from other blogs that I read. Chuck, Z, Red State, Red, LL, and a few others have provided me much food for thought. I don't often comment on your blogs, but rest assured, I read you blogs frequently. News stories on the web also provide much of the background for my posts. Occasionally, I'll catch Hannity, O'Reilly or one of the other commentary-type programs on TV that will give me a thought. I have to confess that I don't watch much TV, though. Especially Hannity. While I agree with him probably more than just about anyone else on TV, I just don't find his show that interesting. I also don't listen to talk radio. I just don't have much time for that.

I remember several months ago, a commenter accused me of simply spewing the Limbaugh talking points. (That might have been you, James, but I don't remember for sure.) I've never listened to Limbaugh. I've caught him a few times being interviewed on TV. I've also stopped by his website a handful of times. But I don't listen to his program. I'd probably like it, from what I've seen.

My political world view has been shaped by my father, a few teachers, my own personal reading and the thoughts of a few other friends and relatives.

I think it was Churchill who said "If you aren't a liberal at age 20, you have no heart. If you aren't a conservative at age 40, you have no brain."

I'll confess to having no heart.


2 comments:

James' Muse August 1, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

Well, thanks for the shout-out, TC.

I do enjoy reading your blog, and I have you listed on my blogroll (I have for awhile, actually). Thanks.

I don't remember if that was me or not...

And I guess I only have half a heart, because I'm only liberal half the time (or less).

But anyway, thanks!

Chuck August 1, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

T.C. Happy 100.

I too thank you for the mention and am glad you stop by. You are well written and I enjoy reading your posts.

Don't worry about not having a heart, you just got your brain early. I was the same way when I was young (even in my teens).

About This Blog

This blog is about my opinions and world view.  I am a conservative, evangelical Christian.  Generally speaking, if you post a comment, I'll allow you to express your view.  However, if you say something hateful, untruthful, or just generally something I don't like, I may remove it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP