Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Crap and Trade Tax Passes House Vote

By now you already know that the Waxman-Malarkey Bill passed 219-212.

This bill, a 1,300 page abomination which I call "Crap and Trade", but has also been known by other names, some of which are not printable on my family-friendly (usually) blog, is a bill which will add taxes and hike energy prices. The net result is that everything that requires energy to be manufactured and/or transported to market (which is a long way of saying "EVERYTHING") will be more expensive to the consumer. American jobs will be lost (or "created or saved" if you are in the White House), and many jobs will be exported to China and other nations.

This, in the middle of a deep recession with the unemployment percentage approaching double digits.

Eight Republicans voted in favor of the bill. They should be voted out of office during the next election cycle.

There were also 44 Democrats who crossed party lines and voted against the bill. I've read some blogs this morning who were congratulating these Dems for being "sane" and for voting for their conscience. I suspect something else. This bill will not be popular with the American people. 219 votes is the exact number they needed for this thing to pass. I suspect the 44 Dems were given "permission" by Pelosi to vote against the bill in order to prevent them from being ousted in their districts. This wasn't about conscience. This was about politics.

Add to this debacle, the Generational Theft Act of 2009, and we have a recipe for significant inflation on the horizon. Every political and economic analyst that I respect seems to be predicting this, along with a "secondary" recession coming soon.

EDIT: I received an e-mail suggesting that I may have a misspelling in my headline. I can't seem to find it.



3 comments:

WoFat June 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

Your spelling is beyond reproach.

KOOK June 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM  

I keep looking but I cannot find a mispelling. It is only 7 small words. They are spelled correctly. I also must say I believe them to be a factual statement.

James' Muse June 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

While I'm not sure where I stand on this cap and trade, and I think the timing was off, I disagree with you on what should be done with the eight republicans who voted for it.

Those eight republicans voted the way their constituents in their districts wanted them to vote. That is exactly what our Representatives should be doing; they should vote the way we want them to, regardless of party lines. I wish more reps (and senators) would vote on issues not based on what the head dem/head repub tells them, but on what their constituents (who put them in power) ask of them. We'd be a better place.

About This Blog

This blog is about my opinions and world view.  I am a conservative, evangelical Christian.  Generally speaking, if you post a comment, I'll allow you to express your view.  However, if you say something hateful, untruthful, or just generally something I don't like, I may remove it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP